Saturday, October 31, 2009

Not a lot of support on the give to attain site

There has been some controversy regarding a comment made by Mark Bomchill about evolution and then also I got a letter he sent to the Sun Post after the school closings forwarded to me and several other RSIS families. In it Mark is pretty unkind to the RSIS program, Jane Byrne and Supt. Mack. I went direct to Mark for a comment and he said he deeply regrets having said that and feels horrible about it. I believe him and I personally have said (a few!) things I regret in the heat of passion. As I have gotten older, I'm getting better, but emotions get the better of all of us sometimes. If we hold everything a person says against them then we have to look in the mirror too and look at our own words as well.

I also had a few more e-mails regarding how I stand on issues:

One gentleman asked about how I feel about having armed police in the high schools and I am not in favor. I understand that some students can get out of hand, but then I think other officers could be called in. On a day to day basis having an armed officer around would scare me. What if that officer perceived that a student was out of control and wound up firing his weapon at that student and seriously injuring or killing them? I would not want that to happen to my child and I'm sure no one else would want it either. Also, what if one of the students somehow got a hold of that officer's weapon. Just the off chance that could happen is enough to scare me. I hear too much about police officers using excessive force or firing at people when they shouldn't to feel entirely secure with the idea of an armed officer.
If you disagree feel free to post and let me know why. I would love to hear from you.

As I said, I'm getting back to folks as quickly as possible, so be patient if you haven't heard back yet!

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment