Monday, October 26, 2009

Answering questions

I have been getting e-mails from folks and have been answering them as quickly as possible. My e-mail is darrellandbeth@comcast.net if you have any questions for me I'd be glad to answer them. I didn't establish a web site for my election campaign so e-mail or reading this blog are the best ways to get answers to your questions.

Here are some common concerns:

One big one is that a lot of people seem to feel that if they voted 'yes' for the referendum that schools would not close. I was on both campaigns and I'm here to tell you that no one ever said that. In fact a very detailed flier went out illustrating what would happen if the referendum passed and what would happen if it failed and school closings wasn't on either list because voting for or against the referendum would not affect school closings.

The things that WERE promised by passing a referendum is that elementary band and orchestra would be maintained, that some middle school extra curricular activites would be restored, that elementary art would possibly be restored and that class sizes would be reduced. I see all of those things in action now at the schools.

I said in my statement on Channel 12 that I noticed during my time working with the school board on the referendum campaigns how many of them had been on the board since the last referendum campaign in 2001!! and some had been on even before that. I honestly think that anyone with issues about the way things have transpired should seriously consider voting in a new group. Even if you do not vote for me, vote for someone other than an incumbent. Then, perhaps, you will see different results and perhaps some you will like better. However, there is the old saying of "the grass is always greener."

I also was talking with a parent over the weekend and her frustration was that even though the referendum passed she is still seeing huge fees for school activities. She told me at the high school level each activity is $200 with a maximum of $700 per family! That is a lot of money! And I see her frustration. As a board member, I would certainly like to at least see if any reduction could be made in those costs? I don't know if it would be possible however. As time passes, it seems things go up so quickly it is amazing to me. I was watching a movie on Turner Classic Movies called "The Blob" with Steve McQueen and Steve and his friend had to interupt a movie that some of his high school buddies were watching and they were concerned that their "80 cents" had been wasted!! I took my daughter to a movie the other day and between popcorn and tickets I spent over $30!!

I digress, sorry!

Another concern is the idea of "back door taxes" meaning raising taxes to pay for repairs to our buildings without asking the tax payers first. I told the folks that asked me that I am completely against it. If we want money we should come forth and ask for it. If the taxpayer sees fit to give it to us, great, if not we need to find other means to fund the repairs outside of raising taxes. I compared the idea of back door taxes to me as a parent breaking into one of the many elderly people's homes near me who do not have kids in the district and stealing money out of their purses or wallets to pay for my kids school supplies. That of course is unacceptable and would result in jail time. So should stealing taxpayers money. It is not okay and will not be tolerated by me as a board member.

That is all the time I have for today...I will plan on updating you with more answers to questions tomorrow.

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment