Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hi, My name is Beth Sharpe and I'm running because...

So, today I stopped over at Channel 12 studios and recorded my candidate message which will air tomorrow around 4pm or after, the nice man who helped me wasn't sure exactly when it would air but said it would be multiple times since their news repeats.

I couldn't decide what to say, not that I don't know why I'm running, but 45 seconds is rather short to fit it all in. So what I decided to go with is a simple introduction of who I am i.e. Beth Sharpe, married with two children daughter who attends Plymouth Middle School, son who attends Robbinsdale Spanish Immersion and then I went onto share what I'm currently involved in, i.e. at the district I am on the Commmunications Advisory Council, at RSIS I am on the PTO and at PMS, I'm co-chairing the magazine fundraiser. Then, I shared that I was involved in both referendum campaigns and during which time, I discovered how long many of the board members had served. I said that I thought if we wanted to have different outcomes, we needed to elect different people. (This is not to say I do not like the current board members as people, I just think different opinions are needed desperately!} Finally, I said, "I am different! and I'd appreciate your vote on November 3."

Yep, I really said that. It was 45 seconds and I figure people will remember that, hopefully, in a positive way!! :)

The news guy also shared with me that only 8 out of the 11 candidates chose to do an on air statement. I cannot imagine who would not want to do that, it is an inexpensive (FREE!!) way to reach a lot of people. I am not the cutest person on the block but I did it and I wore black so I would look slimmer and it worked, had I turned sideways, you wouldn't have known I was there. Okay, I'm perhaps adding in a bit of sarcasm!! :)

Tomorrow night is the League of Women Voters forum where all the candidates appear in the district board room and answer questions. This time, we get to make a 2 minute statement, so I can take the "different" part out and actually elaborate a bit on what I would like to do if I'm elected.

I would appreciate any support I can get there, it starts at 7pm and goes until 8:30 pm. Again, it is at the district board room at 42nd and Winnetka at the district offices.

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment