Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Got over 600 votes!!

So I didn't make the board. However, I did get over 600 votes, which was so nice I cannot even tell you! I had said if I got 5 or less I'd take them out to dinner to thank them, however, at over 600 I'd have to say I couldn't afford it, sorry! BUT my sincere thanks is with you all.

As I said before, this has been such a fabulous learning experience for my children. My son lost the student council election earlier this year and really had a lot of trouble handling the loss. He was sad and acted out and felt people didn't like him because he didn't get elected. I explained that I am going to be personally (okay via e-mail, but that is my way of communicating.) congratulating each of the winners and also am going to blog about how excited I am for all of them. I further explained to him that people have a right to vote for anyone they choose. That is our right in this country. Because they didn't vote for me doesn't have anything to do with whether they "like" me particularly it is about who they feel will be best for the job. He took this all in and is currently processing it. I am hoping that it will be valuable to him.

As for my daughter, she acted as my pseudo campaign manager and gave me ideas and creative slogans. "Vote for my mom or else." Or else what? I asked? She said that was the mystery that would make people want to vote for me. I believe I may have had a campaign manager that was channeling Tony Soprano! But, she also got to see how I went about doing what I did. She watched my Channel 12 statement and I took her with me last night when I was interviewed at the district headquarters. These are experiences even with my limited income that I can give to her and they will act as learning experiences for the future. I also have explained to her things I could have done differently, i.e. PERHAPS! Campaigning a bit more (or at all!) and put out signs, etc.. Moms aren't perfect we try though.

Anyhow, it is over now and I am getting back into my "regular" life. Today I am finishing up a speech I'm giving before the kid's zone at church. Speaking publicly with a biblical theme is something I really enjoy doing. I think it honors the Lord and plus I can put a little humor into it to make it fun. It is a talent I've been given and I intend to try and make use of it more. I also write a pretty mean poem and may even do one for tomorrow to sort of add "closure" to this whole process. We'll see!

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment