Monday, November 2, 2009

The election is tomorrow

Okay, you knew that. I am nervous a little, this is the first time my name has ever been on the ballot so I'm kind of freaking out! I'm not worried so much about whether I get elected because I believe whomever gets elected will do a great job. I have great respect for all the candidates and I cannot see anyone not trying to help the district move forward in a positive direction.

Though, honestly, I hope I get more than 5 votes or I'd be kind of embarrassed. Though, if I did only get 5 votes, I could find them all and invite them out for dinner to thank them all personally for voting for me. I guess there are ups and downs to everything.

One more issue I wanted to discuss is the fact that Foreign exchange students are not allowed to play varsity sports. I didn't realize that to be honest as I don't have high school students yet and my oldest isn't all that athletic. However, my answer to that is why? I see that the person is only here for a short time, but why couldn't they play. The person who asked me about it thought it was discrimination. I am not inclined to go that far because it isn't (I suspect) about race but about the length of time they are in our country. I also wonder if there is some worry that an over zealous coach might try to create an international dream team and recruit really good exchange students. It is certainly possible and I have heard of less strange things happening.

I will research this more, but my initial reaction is that I can't see a great reason why the exchange students shouldn't have the same rights as regular students. They are attending school and doing everything else regular students do.

We would just have to watch out for "dream teams!"

Thought you'd want to know.

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog but wish you were more specific on what you would do as candidate. I am looking at each person running and making an effort to make my four votes count.

    Robert Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Robert, but I would honestly do the best I can and more specifically than that I'd really work hard to get out into the community and find out how folks feel. I think sometimes the board sits in the board room and doesn't get out and actually talk to people. I'd like to attend some PTO meetings around the district and really see what is going on out there and what can be done by the district to help, if needed.

    ReplyDelete