Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Doctors!

I do love a good medical drama and I am a regular viewer of Grey's Anatomy, basically because of Patrick Dempsey who I could watch tie his shoes for an hour and be very happy! But, recently, I've encountered my own medical drama and am not as delighted with it.

I went in for my regularly scheduled mammogram and they refused to do it based on some differences between the two sides. So, today I went in for a "better" mammogram and ultrasound and they found....NOTHING! So, I thought I was done, NO! Because of the oddness of it all, I still have to meet with a surgeon. But, the doctor cautioned, "Not that you have to have surgery or anything!" Explain to me why I'm meeting with a surgeon again. "Because this is their area of expertise" He said. Oh. I am hoping I come out of this whole thing in one piece is all I have to say on the topic.

Although all the drama I experienced is nothing compared to the stories I heard profiled while working at the Jerry Lewis Telethon for 3 hours yesterday. I like being a part of the telethon though, not the television part, I don't like seeing myself on the camera. But, really, when you watch the stories and see the kids and their families who are affected by the disease, you forget about day to day concerns like appearance. There was one family with twin boys both in wheelchairs. The boys were doing okay, but still the family had to move to an entirely different house which was more wheelchair accesable and also just day to day care and all must be a lot of work and hard on everyone emotionally and physically.

ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease is another devistating disease, there was a dad profiled with two small children that was diagnosd shortly after they got married and didn't know how long he had to live. His daugher asked him if he was going to die and he said he didn't know how to answer. It makes simple things that go wrong in our lives seem pretty petty. Even my silly medical drama. Even if I did need surgery, what is the big deal? When you get down to it, likely I'd recover from that and still be able to walk and move around normally. These people are getting progressively worse and worse.

It is definitely something I intend to continue to be a part of each year to help raise funds to help the research and hopefully eventually find a cure or some treatments to prolong and help quality of life for those who have the diseases.

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment