Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Speed blogging

I'm blogging fast today, no one knows what that actually means because I'm not able to type any faster really. And I'll probably say about the same amount I always do, but by saying I'm blogging fast, it makes me feel better about spending time blogging when I have a list longer than Shaquille O'Neal's arms to complete today!

Last night, I held a meeting of the 5th grade farewell committee and everything was going fine until the popcorn machine started smoking. You see, my plan was that I would have popcorn at the PTO meeting that was immediately following the 5th grade farewell meeting and that I would heat up the machine ahead of time. The reason for the popcorn is I had found a machine when I was organizing stuff for the fun fair earlier that day and thought we could use it at the fun fair if it worked. The good part about it, is I discovered it DIDN'T work. The bad part was the smoke, however, happily it was removed from the room fast enough to avoid setting off the sprinklers, so mission accomplished!! AND no more cooking by Beth outside her own kitchen anyway where all fires are covered by our insurance.

On another topic entirely, I've been thinking a lot about Prayer lately. This was caused by a verse I ran into during my Bible study, James 1: 5-8 "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does."

This verse made me think about the way I pray and the things I ask for. I ask for financial help a lot, I ask for help with the kids, I ask for help for friends and relatives. But, in all those things I seem to always have a back up plan if God does not come through. This in all frankness, makes me sincerely insane. How can anyone who sincerely believes in God and Jesus Christ feel that there is a back up plan needed? God created the world in 6 days, the ENTIRE world, Jesus died and rose again and also cured countless people, performed astounding miracles, and as a grand finale saved us all from certain death by taking the punishment for our sins. So, based on that, my answer is that I need a back up plan. RIGHT.

That is why this verse said so much to me. It says that a man must ask without doubt. By having a back up plan what I mean is praying for financial help and buying a lottery ticket or going with an option for the kids without first praying about it and knowing in my heart it is right not just in my head.

My term for this is "Praying with a parachute" and I am finding it won't work for me anymore. I am going to throw the parachute out the window and free fall with God.

My mom always told me that God will provide and she was right.

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment