Thursday, January 14, 2010

No one is reading but I'm still talking

I keep blogging regardless of who is reading. I think it is therapy for me to write. Last evening I made a turkey breast. I had numerous problems getting started, including the fact that on the outside of the package it stated, "Put turkey breast side down." Well I didn't know which side was the breast because the thing had no legs. So I called a friend. She said what kind he turkey is it, I read the package...it is a TURKEY BREAST. Which explained the lack of legs, I guess. But why would the package say, "Put turkey breast side down." if it is ALL BREAST!! It is clearly designed for experienced cooks and not those, like me who are making their first turkey at age 40+.

Anyway, so I put it on it's side on her advice. It had a gaping hole in it, but I didn't put anything in it as I didn't want to push my skills too far the first time. Then, I had to get the pager system set up. My brother got me a meat thermometer for Christmas that includes a pager so when the meat is done it rings the pager. VERY COOL, but it involved sticking an implement into the turkey and then running a cord outside the oven and attaching it to the receiver and then entering in the correct temperature so the machine knew when to page.

It was like programming a computer, but it turned out great. In fact, I cannot wait until I find some more meat to communicate with...maybe a pork roast or something.

On another topic entirely...There was an article on MSN about the fact that the Catholic Church was upset about the nature worship in Avatar. Truthfully, I thought about that when I watched the film and wondered if it would be an issue. However, the movie was a science fiction film, based on another planet. I have to feel that fantasy, meaning story telling and reality, meaning our actual God are two separate things and a reasonable person should be able to separate the two.

If we start analyzing every film's belief system then how do we feel about "The Force" in Star Wars? Or whatever it is in "Harry Potter" or "The Lord of the Rings." or the whole Vampire thing. It is fantasy, NOT reality. We need to raise our children to understand the difference between reality and fantasy and make a solid ground around them so it is clear. If we do that, then a blue person with a tail who worships a tree seen in a film shouldn't take away their entire belief system and send them off collecting acorns.

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment