Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Long time no blog

My first blog in many weeks. Since my last blog I have become unemployed. I lost my banking job due to a referral rate that was below what they thought it should be. Referral rates are basically the amount of times you offer someone a product when they call in to ask about their accounts. I had a referral rate of 19.70 and they wanted 20%. I didn't think I was that far off, however, in watching the Olympics I realized less than a fraction of a second can make a difference evidently not just in ski racing and bob sledding but also in banking, who knew?

Anyway, I've been thinking long and hard about what I want to do when I grow up. Granted I'm over 40 and should already have that covered, but I think anytime a change happens, if it is forced or not, one should re-evaluate. I'm praying about it as well and it seems that God is leading me toward writing again. I'm going to try to do a few children's books and see where that leads.

In the "off" chance that doesn't work out, I am also taking a test to work on the census and have registered for unemployment and on a few sites to get my resume out there!

The one thing, being unemployed opens up my schedule a lot more so I can do some fun stuff I didn't have time for in the past. I went to the Capitol with the District's Legislative Action group. That was eye opening. I learned a lot about spending and how things I wouldn't have thought of effect it.

For instance, one of the legislators who spoke to us said that due to the unemployment rate and the economy being on a downswing people are largely buying only the staples. Those being food and clothing, food and clothing are not taxed. Therefore, there is less tax going into the economy and you follow the rest!
I really hadn't considered that and I sat marveling about it for quite sometime after. Then, I heard on the news someone is proposing taxing clothing. Of course they are! Next they'll be taking part of the stuffing out of the turkey too!

Another representative mentioned how the state is allowed to borrow surplus funds from the school districts. Then they are supposed to give it back with the interest that would have been earned had the districts been allowed to keep the funds. It turns out this is often a losing proposition for the districts as the interest they get back is often less than they would have gotten. And, of course, this is built into the laws of the State so the districts HAVE to give them the money. Our district has not had to do this yet, but it is certainly possible. This makes no sense to me when the schools are struggling so much...why cannot the State keep their hands out of money they have no business in??

That is my political commentary for the day...I'll end with this: Proverbs 21:1
The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.

Thought you'd want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment